Monday, August 6, 2012

Solo-Travel Safety

It pays to be careful when you travel alone 單人旅遊的安全問題
一個人旅行時,處處小心總是值得的。


SC: Tell us about your travels.
JW: I started  traveling internationally when I was 20. Since then, I've lived in five countries and visited about 21 others. I enjoy traveling because I'm pretty curious by nature. Most of the time, I've had delightful experiences but not always...
SC: Do tell.
JW: Once I went to the Philippines for a weekend trip. While I was there, some local I met put drugs in my food and stole my money.
SC: Really! What happened?
JW: I met some local people who helped me get on the right bus to the beach. I assumed they were safe because most of them were women in their 40s. They showed me around for a couple of hours, and then we stopped at their friend's house to eat.  When we started to eat, they offered me a separate plate, but I thought that might be a cultural thing. I didn't know they had drugged the food, but I was a little wary when they pressured me to finish the entire dish. We weren't in a public place, so I couldn't ask for help or make an excuse and leave. So I ate it and then blacked out.
SC:  Were you OK?
JW: Surprisingly, yes. I woke up the next morning in my hostel in Manila, but I couldn't remember how I had gotten there. Amazingly, they hadn't stolen my phone, so I called my parents right away. Then I went to the American Embassy to report the crime. The authorities told me that the people I had met belonged to a gang that commits this kind of crime all the time. They drug people and then take them to ATMs and withdraw cash with the victim's "help." When I checked my bank accounts, I found out they had taken money out. I must have told them my PIN while I was drugged.
SC: Was there anything you could have done to avoid this?
JW: Yes and no. I couldn't help traveling alone-those were just my circumstances at the time. And I think it's normal to want to go out and explore. But I could have been more cautious and refused their offer to show me around.
SC: Will you continue traveling?
JW: Yes, I'm still curious, and I think that traveling is generally pretty safe. It's just important to be alert and cautious when you travel... and to take precautions.


Vocabulary Tips:
Delightful- very joyful, pleasant.愉快的,开心的。
*We had a delightful evening at the party last night.
*Tina is a delightful travel companion. 很好,很愉快的。。
*You can enjoy your afternoon tea in this delightful garden.
assume- believe to be true without question it. 以为,假设。
*I assume everyone here already knows each other.
assume that - 信以为是,认为是。
*I assumed that you would come to help out today.
*People often assume that women are not as determined as men.
black out - become unconscious, not wake, pass out, fall over for a short period of time, not die.
*After the marathon, one of the contestants suddenly blacked out. 不省人事,丧失意志。
*When he blacked out, he fell from the stairs.
it pays to be careful -處處小心總是值得的
it pays to be something -。。總是值得的  meant that you pay for it to have benefit.
curious - want to learn about..
do tell - please go on, would like to hear more, please tell us more, let us know more about it.
wary - not complete to be sure, not certain, does not fully trust it (them).
pressure - forced to do, push hard.
hostel - a place for people to stay over night, cheap in price but more people share a room with you.
embassy - an office in other country that represent its country.
gang - a group people hang out together.
withdraw - (withdrew, withdrawn) take out, take away.提款。
*Larry withdrew $500 from his account.
withdraw -撤回,取消。
* The troop was withdrawn and sent to another base.
PIN - personal identification number.
Surprisingly - she can walk away with her life.
cautious - to be careful。小心的,谨慎的。
* As an accountant, you have to be very cautious with money.
*Bob is very cautious about what he says.
caution, be caution - be careful. be alert .小心,谨慎。特别小心,非常谨慎
*This machine needs to be operated with extreme caution.
alert - pay attention.,留意,提高警觉
precautions - take cation, do something to protect you, or prepare something that make your sure is safe.
pre-“预先” caution -小心,谨慎。 precaution -预防警惕。留心,警戒。预防措施
take precautions - 采取预防措施。
* The residents along the river bank were informed to take precautions before the hurricane hit.

Grammar Tips:
I enjoy traveling because I'm pretty curious by nature.
"by nature" - having the natural characteristic of what was just said.
Ronald never practices his English because he is quite lazy by nature.
"by nature" -common character.
Cats are territorial by nature.

Word/idiom Tips:
drug / medicine -
drug - can be medicine to cure the body. 也指麻醉药品,毒品。
take medicine - not "eat" medicine.
go to drugstore to get medicine at pharmacy. 药庄店,药品,药局
-----------------------------------------------------
help -帮助
help -避免,阻止,通常前面都会加“can't“ - can't help
can't help oneself -不由自主,无法自制。
I couldn't help traveling alone - those were just my circumstances at the time.
I did it because I couldn't help it.


No comments: