Saturday, February 23, 2013

Packing in Practice

Sometimes a well-packed bag takes a little practice!
練習打包 - 有時,要把行李打包好,還是需 要一點練習!

I was nearly in tears as I dragged my three pieces of luggage through the deep snow. I was cold, tired and embarrassed. My two classmates had a backpack and one piece of luggage each. I felt judged for bringing more. I was in Freiburg, Germany, hiking along cobblestone streets on my way to the university. This was the last part of a very long journey from  the U.S.

After landing first in Zurich, Swizerland, we made our way north to Germany. I carried my things up and down stairs, on and off trains. I squeezed myself onto crowded streetcars and elevators. We were staying at the University of Freiburg for just a semester. 

But I suspected that I'd packed enough for a year. I'd pack enough for a year. I'd barely arrived, and already I was wondering how I'd get my things home. When at last I got to my apartment, I frowned at my luggage. This was not going to happen again.

Confession time: I packed a lot of stuff when I travel. My goal is to take the minimum, but that rarely works out. Something in my mind cries, "Jo! You will need more jeans and shirts! Bring all the DVDs and books you own in case you get bored! Pack some knitting needles because you like to knit sometimes! Better pack a chess set so you can play with the new friends you make!" The packing goes downhill from there.

They say practice makes perfect, and I've had a lot of practice since Germany. That trip -my first abroad - was a difficult but valuable lesson. When I'm packing for a trip now, I remember how I felt then. I assume all my bags will be my responsibility. If I want to take something, am I willing to carry it everywhere? Usually the extras aren't worth the effort. There's nothing like stairs and crowded spaces to set your packing priority straight!

Grammar Tips:
"Better pack a chess set so you can play with the new friends you make!"
"better" = " you had better"
Better bring an umbrella because it might rain!
Better have some extra cash in case you want to buy something at a convenience store.

Vocabulary Tips:
luggage (not countable noun) -suitcase, baggage that you carry when you travel.(不可数名词)行李
a piece of luggage, two pieces of luggage, luggage no add "s" if more than one.
*Each passenger is allowed to carry one 25 kilo piece of luggage.
suitcase - (countable noun) - luggage, two suitcases,  one suitcase, five suitcases.(可数名词)行李
backpack (n) - pack is carrying on the back.背包。
*The boy's backpack is full of treats and game cards.
backpack (v)- carrying backpack.背上背包。
*We backpacked around Italy.背上背包旅游意大利
backpacker (n) - people who carrying a big backpack and travel from one place to another.背包客
suspect (v)- (重音在第二节)怀疑,推测。
*We suspected that Larry was stealing long  before we caught him.
suspect (n) -(重音在第一节)嫌疑犯。
*Photos of the suspect were posted everywhere.
frown (v) -not a happy feeling, feeling bad, feeling sad.担心不悦而皱眉,难过得。
*Reading her son's report card, Rita shook her head and frowned.
Frown at -对什么事而担心不悦而皱眉用"at"
*Ellen frowned at her messy kitchen.
frown (n) - I feel I am a frown.
turn that frown up side down - cheery up.
feel judged - get a feeling of someone may thinking of you in a negative way.
squeeze -try to make room in the situation that is full of people or stuff. squeeze lemon or orange to get some  juice out.
* Let me squeeze in my thought.
confession -tell the truth, tell people let them know. 自白,认罪。
*The suspect signed his confession.嫌犯在自白书签了字。
*The novel is actually the author's confession. 这本小说事实上是作者的自白。
confess (v) -认罪,承认。
* I confess I lose my temper very often.承认自己时常发脾气。
minimum -at least.  'mini' - very small,小的. 至少,最低的限度,最低值,最低的。
*A trip to the nearest hospital will take a minimum of one hour.去最近的医院最少要花上一个小时。
*He doesn't even reach the minimum height requirement of entering the police academy.
maximum - is opposite of minimum.最多
responsibility -take care, in charge.职责,责任。
*It's the responsibility of the person who leaves last to lock all the doors and windows.
*The kitchen is your responsibility this week.
priority - very important, first consideration.优先事项,最重要的。当务之急。
*If you set your priorities in order, you won't waste time.
*My priority in life is to take care of my kids.
set something priority straight.- put something first consideration.
top priority - first priority.
work out - succeed. didn't work.
downhill - not succeed, getting trouble to pack all in the luggage. Things are going bad.
worthwhile - very practical.
there's nothing like .....to .- nothings are like .... There's nothing better like hot chocolate to get your body warm.

Language Tips:
packing light -打包轻省,行李轻便。(别打包过多的行李)。
packing light for many seasons :行李轻便的好处有:
lest headache - 少烦恼。
save frustration - 避免懊恼,沮丧。
extra mobility -更多一些行动能力。
flexibility -更富弹性。
save money - Some airline charges traveler's check-in luggage.省钱。
------------------------------------------------------------------------
carry it everywhere - 多想想带着行李满街跑的不便,就不会 over-packed.
over-packed -超重, 超带,装的过多。

***To prove that your luggage is not over-packed, just carry your packed  luggage walk around the block 5 times,or lift it up for 10 minutes if you are not sweat or tired.


Taking notes of study "Studio Classroom".



No comments: