Friday, February 15, 2013

Free Lunch?

Does buying one drink earn you a day of free Wi-Fi and air conditioning?
天底下真有白吃的午 餐? 買杯飲料就能享用整天免費 Wi-Fi 無線上網和吹冷氣?

It is a lunch time and Blaine is looking for a seat in a fast food restaurant. Suddenly, he sees his classmate Matt.

Blaine: Hey, Matt! What are you doing here?
Matt: Oh, hi, Blaine. I'm just doing some work and writing my blog.
Blaine: Do you mind if I join you? there aren't any other tables available.
Matt: Sure. Be careful you don't get hooked on my charger cable though.
Blaine: Thank you. So do you study here often?
Matt: Yeah, I'm here most days. It's a great way to save money on air conditioning and the restaurant has free Wi-Fi.
Blaine: Aren't you eating anything?
Matt: I had a drink earlier this morning. I'll probably eat something later.
Blaine: No offense, but it's pretty busy in here. Don't you feel guilty about taking up space for nothing?
Matt: No really. It's not like I NEVER buy anything here. I'm a loyal customer, and I eat here all the time.
Blaine: Yeah, but you're not a customer now. You are occupying space that paying customers need.
Matt: Anyone is welcome to come and share my table. You did. And besides, this is a fast food restaurant. Seating is first come, first served, and people who don't get seats do have other choices. They can get their food to go.
Blaine: I still feel like you're mooching off the restaurant.
Matt: IF they don't want people to stay awhile in the restaurant. why do they offer free Wi-Fi?
Blaine: Well, it's for paying customers.
Matt: That's what I'm  saying. I am a paying customer - I bought a drink. I'm also a regular. It's not like I'm trying to get a free lunch!
Blaine: But you only bought one drink, and you finished it a long time ago!
Matt: Are you saying you would be more comfortable with me siting here if I had a pile of trash stacked around me on the table?
 Blaine: I just don't think the purchase of one drink entitles you to hours of free Wi-Fi, seating and air condition.
Matt: If you think about it, though, the restaurant is already paying for Wi-Fi and air conditioning whether people are her or not. Frankly, using this table is more environmentally friendly than sitting at home running my air conditioner just for myself.
Blaine: That's all well and good but you are still inconveniencing other people when the restaurant is packed.
Matt: As far as I'm concerned, if my sitting here were a problem, the restaurant wouldn't offer services to bring me here.
Blaine: Well, I'm going to eat and get out so someone else can have my seat.

Grammar Tips:
"That's all well and good." -
***You are agreed with what saying but you want to share your different opinion."That's all well and good but...."
***Or you are not really agreed with, you have your own opinion, and you want to share what you are thinking. You can say "That's all well and good but...."
*** It's very important to let other people know what you disagree with and what is your opinion, but you don't want to offend people by share your disagree opinion, You can begin with  "That's all well and good, but....". 
*** But remember to be polite, you  need respect enough to hear what they said first, then you can say: "That's all well and good, but......" -

Vocabulary Tips:
hook (v) - something catches you, cause you fall or trapped over. 勾到,缠住,勾住。
*The worker hooked the ladder over the edge of the roof.
*Pamela hooked her arm around her husband's.
hook (n)- something desire for hanging things. 钩子。
*Britney hung her coat on the hook.
charger cable -充电器的(电)线。
charger -a device for something to have electric refill.充电器
*a battery charger -电池充电器。
* The charger cable is compatible with several brands of cell phones.
offense - against someone, make someone feeling bad or angry.冒犯,得罪。
no offense -无意冒犯。
*"Uh, no offense. I'm sorry that I was late this morning, but you're not my boss."
occupy -take place of something. Is this seat occupied? (Answer: seats taken, if you don't want to share.)
*The project occupies most of Charlie's time. He doesn't even have time to sleep.
*All the restrooms are occupied now. You have to wait in line.
preoccupied - before things happen, it already have taken of something else.
mooch (v) - take advantage off someone. ask for free things.
mooch off -占某人的便宜。  -占某人的便宜要用"off " 。
*Alex is 30 years old. He should leave home and stop mooching off his parents.
*Billy tried to mooch a free lunch off me.
*My sister mooch money off me.
mooch (n) - call someone who is always mooch off other people a mooch.占便宜,索取。
stack (v)-堆叠,堆成一叠一叠的。
*All the books were stacked neatly on the shelves.
*The workers used forklifts to stack the heavy boxes.
stack (n)- 一叠,一堆。
*The stacks of clothes on the floor are waiting to be sorted. 等着分类。
entitle - given some rights. entitled a bit of respect or opinion or something else. 职位或地位。
*entitle someone to something -某人享有某种特权。
* A membership entitles you to discount prices and free valet parking.
environment (n)-环境.
environmentally (adv) -环境地,环保地。有关环境,环保方面地。就环境,环保的考量。
environmental -*The plant is considered to be environmentally hazardous.
environmental  (adj) -环境的,环保的
environmental groups -环保的团体。
a regular - come all the time.
regular -(adj) as usual. very common.
regular/usual :
*I am a regular to this restaurant, I have the usual every time I visit.
free-lunch - get thing free. or get a free meal for lunch.
"are you saying..." - do you mean....?
stack something up - creating a pile of something.
stack up, stack around - pile up.
frankly - honestly, say something directly.
inconveniencing (v)- to cause  people not convenience (n) .
"as far as I'm concerned" - from my ankle, my opinion, my sight to look at, .my point of view.
take up space - take up a lot of space, take up too much space. occupy the place or space.

Language Tips:
First come, first served.-
The early bird gets the worm. -
You snooze, you lose.- snooze - take a nap. (Turtle  and Rabbit story)
The morning time has gold in its mouth.-
He who sleeps doesn't catch any fish.-
First to the mill gets to grind first.-
---------------------------------------------------------------------
loiter - 消磨时间,混。take time talk with friend or surfing the website in a relax way. or not spend much money, occupy a space to drive customer away.
loiterer - loiter + er =消磨时间,混的人。
be considerate - 为他人着想。



Taking notes of study "Studio Classroom".


No comments: