Saturday, January 26, 2013

Betrayed!

What should you do when a friend betrays you?
被出賣! -  當你發現被朋友出賣的時候,該怎麼辦?

Sara comes home to find her sister Kelly looking very upset.

Sara: You look miserable, Kelly, What's wrong?
Kelly: I told Veronica a secret, and she told it to everyone in school. Now all my classmates are talking about it and me!
Sara: That's awful! One time last year, I told my friend a secret. That's awful! One time last year, I told my friend a secret, and she posted it on Facebook for everyone to see.
Kelly: What did you do about it?
Sara: I knew a couple of secrets about her, so I started spreading them around our class. I'm sure you know something about Veronica that you could use to get revenge.
Kelly: Yeah, I do know some of Veronica's secrets but if I tell them. I'll be just like her. I don't know if I want to stoop to her level.
Sara: But she has been a terrible friend. Do you really want to keep being nice to her?
Kelly: Well, it is the right thing to do, Besides, if I remember right, your plan  to get revenge backfired.
Sara: Well, yes, a lot of our mutual friends did get mad at me and I developed a reputation for gossiping.
Kelly: That's why I don't know if trying to get revenge will help.
Sara :Well, you have to do something. Otherwise Veronica will keep taking advantage of you and telling your secrets.
Kelly: I don't know if I would say she's taking advantage of me. She probably just forgot that I told her to keep it secret.
Sara: That seems very unlikely. This is not the first time you've come home upset that Veronica betrayed your trust.
Kelly: Yeah, maybe you're right but I don't want to confront her. It might hurt our friendship.
Sara: So what kind of friendship is that? I know you don't like conflict, but you should still talk to her. You need to discourage her from doing this kind of thing in the future.
Kelly: Talking to her might help, but it also might make her really mad.
Sara: Why should she get mad? She's the one who's out of line! She needs to know you're upset. Not to mention, she owes you an apology!
Kelly: Thanks for the advice. I need to think a little bit more about how to handle this.
Sara: So, what was the secret anyway?

Grammar Gyms:
Not to mention, she owes you an apology!
"not to mention" - in addition to,  plus..
Roger didn't want to go running because he was lazy. Not to mention, it's raining too.
Let's not have seafood for dinner, it's expensive. Not to mention, some of us are allergic to seafood.

Vocabulary Tips:
miserable - feel terrible.悲惨的,难过的,痛苦的,很糟糕的。
*Richard has been miserable since he quit his job.
misery -痛苦或是不幸。
*These abandoned children live in misery.
revenge -pay someone back.报仇,复仇。
get revenge on someone for something -为某事而对某人复仇(向某人报仇)。
*The prince got revenge on the bad queen for trying to poison him.
avenge - help someone get revenge.
stoop to someone's level -lower yourself to go to the lower level.
stoop - lower your body and leg to go lower.半蹲。弯腰曲身。自甘堕落的去做某事。
squat - bend your knee completely let  your hip close to the ground.全蹲。蹲下来。
*I don't think Daniel will stoop to stealing. 我不信。。。自甘堕落的去偷窃。
mutual - both sides of the party.共同的。双方的。共有的。相互的。
*One of the secrets of a happy marriage is mutual respect.
*Their relationship was built on mutual interests only.
spread - spreading, spreading the butter on the bread, spreading the news, spread the gossipy.
It's a right things to do - it is may not enjoyable or present or you want, but you know what is the right thing to do. Someone near you didn't know he drop the money on the floor, you pick it up and returned to him. this is a right things to do.
Kelly's friend betray Kelly, to be still nice to her friend, it is a right thing to do for Kelly.
reputation for something - something that you get known by people.
take advantage of someone (negative)- 占人便宜,欺骗某人。占人好处。
take advantage ( positive) -利用其好处,优势等
advantage -好处,益处。利益。
*William used to take advantage of his friends, and he ended up losing them.
confront - to approach them and talk to them, share you feeling to discourage them to continue. not fight with them. 勇敢面对,勇敢对抗。
*Karen finally fond the courage to confront neighbor who was always stealing her newspaper.
*I get so nervous when confronted with strangers.面对陌生人会变得很紧张。
owe someone an apology - 欠某人一个道歉。
out of line - not doing what the boss told to do or do something that not been told to do.言行举止不当的。
*Victor was out of line when he quarreled with his teacher.
*Peggy was way out of line when she got mad at her boss at the meeting.
not to mention - 更不要提,更不要说
*Jack works day and night because he has three kids. Not to mention, he has to take care of his parents, too.
unlikely - does not seem that way, probably not true.
betray vs. betray one's trust - 
betray : you feel betray., someone betrayed you. You feel bad but not as bad as "betray one's trust."
betray one's trust - point out that the person who you trust and he/she says they would not do and do it to hurt you.  You feel hurt very bad.
discourage (v) - want someone not do it anymore. 不鼓励,叫停。阻止。
discourage (adj)- fell discourage when they lose the game. 灰心。


Language Tips:
well - not "noun", not "verb", not "adverb", not "adjective," is so called "particle", like "so", "yet", or "still" .... is language oil to keep the conversation or sentence smooth. is a connection of two sentences, make it more comfortable and smooth. is particle, conjunction, sentence connector and interjection.
particle -语助词。
conjunction -连接词。
sentence connector -句子连接词。
interjection -感叹词。
Well, it is the right thing to do. (所以说嘛,就是。。。)
Well, yes, a lot of our mutual friends did get mad at me and I developed a reputation for gossiping.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
italic -斜体字。
italicize -使用斜体字。 常用italicize 来代表可以独立存在的事物名称, 如书名,小说,报纸,电影,电视剧,或交通工具等名字。
Why should she get mad? 说话的(特别强调或加重)语气







No comments: