Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Long Time No See, My Dear Friends!

我的摯友們,好久不見!It’s good to be home again 路克返鄉了,再度和朋友們相見Luke comes home and sees his friends again. by Luke Wang

It had been a long time since I had seen my friends - I missed all of them so much. So in order to find out about their lives and experiences in college, I decided to step into their shoes. I visited six different universities in Taipei, and I also joined a few classes with my friends. Walking around their universities, I felt like a Taipei college student. The schools' cultures were so different from mine in California. The students in Taipei have such colorful and exciting lives compared with my life in the states.

Although I did not have the full experience of their classes, I feel Asian students learn differently than American students. In the States, we have papers, group projects, formal presentations and research, which help students develop the ability to learn by themselves. After being back for a month, I find myself experiencing reverse culture shock. But I am slowly readjusting to my home culture.

Colleges here have just begun their summer break. My friends and I are planning to visit some different places around the island. I am excited about my journey and am enjoying the presence of friends and family.

Grammar
After being back for a month, I found myself experiencing reverse culture shock.
After + verb-ing, subject finds oneself + verb-ing.
It's a great pattern that describe someone is doing something or going through something after they have experienced something.
After exercising regularly for two months, Jody found herself enjoying her workout sessions.
Tyler usually likes to eat spaghetti, but after having spaghetti every night for a whole week, he found himself feeling sick and tired of it.

Vocabulary Tips
step into somebody's shoes-踏入別人的鞋子裏,意即“同感身受”。也指“接替別人的工作”
*When he saw the homeless man on the streets he briefly stepped into his shoes and decided to give him some money.
*After James left the job, Greg stepped into his shoes and did a wonderful job.接替別人的工作
reverse-相反的,反向的 re- 有“回來” "back"的意思。
*If you do the procedure in reverse sequence, you will shut down the whole computer system.程序倒過來做。。
*The reverse side of the coat was lined with silk. 反面。。裏層是絲的
readjust-重新調适 re- 再一次,重新開始 adjust-調适,調整
*After Ricky moved to the suburbs, he took some time to readjust his lifestyle.他花了好一段時間去重新調适他的生活方式。
*Students need help in readjusting after a long summer vacation.
colorful and exciting-多彩多姿
culture shock- facing different culture and cause you had confused

Chat Room
story-故事
"Long Time No See, My Dear Friends! " is the title of the story.
long time no see- 好久不見的意思,是中國人說的英語,不是正當的說法但是已很普遍被使用。
to make a long story short-長話短説,簡要的說。
story-事情的原委
It's a long story-説來話長,不太想提及。

No comments: