Monday, May 28, 2012

Taking a working holiday


Two people have very different experience during their working holidays.打工度假经验谈。

This month studio classroom talks to two different people, Claire Lee and Vincent Lee, about their working holiday experiences.

Vincent spent 2004-2005 on a working holiday in Australia. Claire is currently completing her working holiday in Canada.

SC: Why did you decided to take a working holiday?
CL: I wanted to experience a different culture, and a working holiday seemed like the best way to do that.
VL:I'd been keen to travel around the world since I was a teenager and kept the idea in my mind about 10 years. Then one day, I got some information about working holidays and knew it would be the beginning of a journey.

SC: Where did you go and why?
CL: I went to Canada because its working holiday program accepts people over the age of 30. I started in Vancouver because I had already established connections there. I'll probably stay in Vancouver throughout my working holiday for the sake of convenience.

VL: I was interested in a lot of different cities, so I made travel a priority on my working holiday. I intentionally spent time in lots of different Australian cities. I spent time in Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin and Perth, for example.

SC: What were you most worried about before you left?
CL: I was, and still am, a bit worried about finding a job when I return home to Taipei.
VL: I was most anxious that my English wouldn't be good enough to communicate.

SC: Where did you stay and work during your working holiday?
CL: I got a house in Vancouver, and I'm working as an assistant to a Chinese medicine doctor.
VL: I stayed wherever I could. Sometimes I stayed in hostels. Other times I shared a house or stayed in a cabin or camped. Sometimes I slept in my car -especially when I was moving between cities. I worked at different jobs as I traveled.

SC: What was the biggest challenge you faced?
CL: I wondered about a lot of things before I left. I got a lot of assistance from my friends at church, though, so since arriving in Canada,  I haven't really run into any huge obstacles.
VL: Talking to westerners in English was challenging. They speak English faster than I can comprehend it. I had to learn to pay close attention.

SC:What was the most important lesson you learned?
CL: I spend a lot of time alone here, so I'm learning to really appreciate who I am.
VL: My working holiday taught me that the world is a big place with limitless possibilities. I learned to love meeting new people.

SC: Would you do it again?
CL: For me, this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
VL: Definitely. Since my working holiday, I've never really stopped traveling.

Grammar Tips:
I'll probably stay in Vancouver throughout my working holiday for the sake of convenience.
"for the sake of "= for the purpose of .
Mr. Lee grew tired of his noisy neighborhood and finally moved to the mountains for the sake of peace and quiet.
For the sake off time, let's go through the meeting agenda first and have the comments and questions at the end.

Vocabulary Tips:
keen- you want to do something very much. 渴望的,热爱的, 非常有兴趣。对。。很有兴趣。
*Rose has been keen to visit, Paris since she was a teenager.
*We're keen to have more people to get involved in the charity campaign.
*Mr. Frasier is keen on photography.
established-build up or set up for long time. 创办,建立,创立
*Fred established his enterprise in China within years.
*this art college was established in 1952.
*We need to establish a good relationship with our neighbors.
intentionally -do things on purposely.有意地,故意地
*Sherry showed up late for the party intentionally so everyone would notice her.
*I didn't say those words intentionally.
assistance - assist-help.
*He established his business with the assistance of his wife.
*Andy's computer technology assistance is greatly appreciated.
comprehend -理解,了解
*I had a hard time comprehending what the clerk said because of his accent.
*No one seems to be able to comprehend my situation.
*The text is too difficult for elementary school kids to comprehend.
limitless - 广泛不受限制,无限。limit -受限制 less -没有
*You can enjoy a limitless supply of soft drinks at the buffet.
*This boy seems to have limitless potential in mathematics.
anxious -担心
hostel -a large house provide people sleep place with little price. it's a cheap way to stay.

Chat Room:
go on vacation (USA) , go on holiday 休假 (other English speaking country)-
I want to vacation (v) -
holiday-(美国)假日,节日。
the Forth of July.独立记念日。
national holiday.国定假日。
--------------------------------------------------
Where did you stay and work during your working holiday?
live/stay -
live-长时间居住。长期的。
stay -短暂停留。暂时的。
How long are you staying in Taipei?
I am here to stay - 留在此地定居。stay,  not going to move.
也会继续下去
The new cellphone is here to stay.


No comments: