Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Is Airport Security Really Necessary?

A: Airport security is a part of travel these days. Whew! we're finally through airport security. Such scrutiny! I felt like a criminal!
B: Security is really necessary these days. I'm glad we have it. It makes me feel safe flying.
A: But we're not safe. That's why they keep adding new things to the security process. Did you see those full-body scanners?
B: They make the security check really thorough, so it's OK with me.
A: It's not OK with me! Airport security is way too strict now. No one but passengers can go to the gates.
B: So?
A: So, I miss the days when my parents or friends could just meet me right when I got off the plane.
In many airports, friends can meet us in baggage claim. That's just as good.
B: I still feel like all the security violates my rights.
A: Well, they have to keep everybody safe. If there weren't bad people out there, we wouldn't have security.
B: I know. But I'm not a bad person!
A; You think only bad people should go through security? You think you can tell a bad person just by looking at them. The authorities need to treat everyone the same. That's only fair.
B: Maybe you are right. But I still don't like it!
A: I don't think the authorities enjoy making people jump through all the security hoops.
B: They're just trying to improve the process.
A: How?
B: Well, in some airports, frequent travelers have a special line now that's faster. And soon people won't have to take off their shoes.
A: Well, that's an improvement. But why can't innocent people walk through the metal detector and be done with it? I mean. is a woman with a baby or an elderly couple really going to carry a gun or a bomb? Come on! They're not suspicious
B: If authorities didn't X-ray everyone's carry-ons, then terrorist would start to use people like that to harm plane and passengers.
A: I guess you're right. Thorough the securities is the best prevention.
B: And the authorities need a method of checking the contents of people's bags, if there wasn't one, people could take all kinds of danger things onto the plane.
A: I know, I know, but I still don't like strangers going through my stuff.
B: When you choose to travel by plane, you give up your right to privacy to keep everyone safe.
A: I guess the world isn't a safe place anymore, I can't change that, so I'll have to tolerate to security check.

Grammar Tips:
But why can't most-Innocent people walk through the metal detector and be done with it.
"be done with it " = "be finished with something."
I'll be done with it in an hour and I'll return it to you when I'm done.
I want you to be done with it by the end of this week.

Vocabulary Tips:
scrutiny-细查,详查,仔细检查。take time and careful to exam or check or read it.
*The presidential candidates' financial statuses are subject to public scrutiny.
*Every move celebrities take is under media scrutiny.
thorough -detail and carefully. 彻底的,完全的,详细的。
*A thorough mechanical check-up is important before a plane takes off.
*The doctor advised Irene to have a thorough physical exam.
thoroughly-彻底地,完全地,详细地。
*The figures will be checked thoroughly.
violate -违反, 侵犯。break the rule.
*The rights of these protesters were severely violated during the arrest.
*These attacks clearly violated the agreement between the two countries.
Jump through hoops (idiom) -go through so many things then come to the point what you want.
经历艰苦和考验。通常经过复杂的程序或种种辛苦过程。马戏团里,动物跳的火圈。
I had to jump through hoops to get my new passport.经过重重难关才。。
The salesman jumped through loops to get his customer to buy the product.
suspicious -可疑的,怀疑,疑心的。
*There was a suspicious man wandering around the victim's house before the theft.
*I am suspicious of her intentions
tolerate -容忍,包容,
*Dave cannot tolerate anyone not paying attention when he's speaking.

Chat Room:
way -太过于,远超出。太过。非常的
Slow down! You're going too fast.
You are going way too fast.
This is way too much.
Airport security is way too strict now.
cool -
This is way cool.
-------------------------------------------------
bag -袋子,行李。
How many bags?
luggage - not countable noun, only use "piece" to mention about the volume. 不可加“s"
a piece of luggage.
five pieces of luggage.
suitcase- countable and uncountable.
I have five suitcases.
I have five piece of suitcases.
carry-ons : the bag carry on board.





No comments: