Thursday, March 29, 2012

Curfews

How late is too late to stay out?

Mom, I am going to hang out with my friend tonight.
You won't be home later than 11pm. will you? I don't want you out past then.

Mom! Why are you putting limitations on my time with friends? You know the friends I'll be with tonight. I will be safe. You don't have to worry.
Your dad and I feel more at ease knowing that you're safely at home when we want to go to bed at night.

What's the likelihood of me getting into trouble at night when I am with my friends?
More likely than you think. You know bad things can happen even when you're being good.
And we prefer that you're home when we go to sleep at night. We shouldn't be waiting up for you at night later than 11pm.

Ok. I promise to be home on time, but tomorrow can we sit down and discuss my side of this situation?There are a few thing I would.
Sure, we can do that. Have fun with your friends tonight, and be home at 11 o'clock!

All right, Let's sit down and talk about your views on your curfew. Thanks for getting in by 11:00 last night. Your father and I really appreciate it.
You're welcome. I want to be obedient. And I really do respect your rules. But I just feel like I don't have much time to hang out with my friends. I'm so busy with school and homework during the week.
The weekends are about the only time I have to spend with them.

We have no problem with you going out with your friends on Friday and Saturday nights. Why is it so important to stay out past 11 pm?
I'm 16 now I think I'm old enough to handle the responsibility of staying out later.

You have shown quite a bit of maturity this year. So maybe it's time to give you some added privilege, like staying out later on the weekends.
That's great! How late can I stay out?

We'll let you stay out until midnight Saturday night and we'll see how it goes.  But if you're late, there will be consequences.
Thanks! I promise you won't regret it.

Grammar Tips:
Your dad and I feel more at ease knowing that you're safely at home when we want to go to bed at night.
"subj." + feel +adj. + knowing that..... (to describe a person's feeling after knowing someone...
We feel at ease knowing he didn't get hurt after he had an accident.

Vocabulary Tips:
curfews-门禁,宵禁,戒严
*If you break the dorm's midnight curfew, you'll be punished.错过了门禁时间。。
*The government lifted the curfew because the war was over.取消戒严
limitation-限制,局限,限制因素。 limit-限制
*Communicating through the Internet has its limitations; it lacks personal interaction.
*His height is a limitation in his modeling career. He's only 6 feet tall.限制了他从事某特儿职业。
likelihood -(不可数名词)可能性。可能。from "like" + "hood" two words. like-相似。
*The recent conflicts increases the likelihood of war.冲突
*The likelihood is small that Howard will work for other people.可能性很小。
obedient (adj) - obey, follow the rules. 顺从的,听话的,遵守的。
*Being obedient to your superior is the base requirement of a soldier. who to obedient -obedient to whom.
disobedient -不顺从的, "dis" -否定的意思。
*The boy was disobedient to his parents.
maturity -(不可数n)成熟,圆熟。 mature (adj)- 成熟的,
*Working at the customer service department requires a lot of maturity.
*Wesley doesn't have the maturity to deal with parenthood. 还不够成熟去面对如何做“父母”
consequence -后果,结果。 "sequ" -有“尾随”的意思。result.
*People's opposition is the consequence of such a sudden change in policies.
*The consequences of taking bribes are serious.

Chat Room:
hang out-(口语)with friend.与朋友在一起“打发时间。或看电影(视)或闲聊。打发时间。
hang around- 也是打发时间,by  yourself alone.只是自己独自儿的闲逛,溜达,无所事事的打发时间。但是若有闲杂的人在你家附近,闲逛,溜达,你就要注意了,最好是报警。
hangout- refer to a place that people hand out in.
hang out -with friends, but not with girl friend or boy friend. Young people like to hand out in malls.
date - 男女朋友相聚约会 date, dating,不能用“hand out".
-------------------------------------------------------------
underage=minor -under the legal age.未成年的
Sara is still a minor.
of age - 成年,购岁数了,到了法定成年的岁数。
Are you of age? 你有到达法定成年的年龄吗?
come of age- 成年了。到达了法定年龄。transition, from childhood to adulthood.
rite of passage - (字面解释)通过仪式。 也是说“伴随着人生跨越到另一个新阶段。如小孩学会骑脚踏车,进入一个人生新阶段。"rite"- 仪式,典礼。



.

No comments: