Sunday, November 14, 2010

The World of Work

My First Day第一天上班I learned all kinds of things on the first day of my new job 新工作上班的第一天,我就學到了各種各樣的事 by Joan Yu

I was very excited on my first day of working at a Fortune 500 company. All the new hires assembled in the lobby on a Monday morning. I was surprised to see forty something people there. We were taken to a conference room for a two-hour information session held by the HR, security and IT departments. The session was critical for me to learn how to survive in this new foreign land.

At noon all the hiring managers came to pick us up for lunch in the company cafeteria. After lunch my manager took me to my cubicle and introduced me to the team. He also gave me instructions on how to order office supplies.

The first week, all new hires attended all kinds of classes for work. Because I was coming from a small Chinese company, this was a new experience for me, and I felt nervous and insecure at first. Luckily, I had a good mentor to show me around and introduce me to the cross-functional teams. This would make my life a lot easier down the road. It's not about what you know but who you know-this is true no matter if you work for a Chinese or an American company.

Joan talks to her husband after her first day at work.
Charlie: Hi honey, How was your first day at your dream job?
Joan: It was good but really tiring! There's so much to remember! I had meetings with so many different people and departments. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now.
Charlie: Steep learning curve. eh?
Joan: You can say that again. Making the adjustment from a small company to this huge multi-national one is going to take time.
Charlie: But you had a good orientation?
Joan: Yes. I learned a lot, and I asked a lot of questions.
Charlie: Good. That's the best way to learn what's expected of you. Is the same person who is training you going to evaluate your work?
Joan: Yes. That will be my team leader. He is really nice and has given me some helpful hints already.
Charlie: Is he approachable?
Joan: I think so. We hit it off right away, so I think we can work well together.
Charlie: And the rest of your team?
Joan: I met all of them too, and they all seem nice. Hopefully, they'll all be easy to work with.
Charlie: You'll find out soon.
Joan: Not till next week. I have orientation the rest of this week.

Grammar on the go:
I was surprised to see forty something people there.
forty-something-
"something"-do not have exactly the number of the number, but you know about the number range, you may us " something"
I think twenty-something quests are coming to the party.
The winner ate sixty-something hot dogs.

Vocabulary Tips:
assemble-聚集或集合,組合.
*All the trainees need to assemble in the school gym at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow morning.
*Josh assembled the difficult puzzle in two hours.
cubicle-把大空間分隔成很多的小立方體,小隔間 cubic-立方體
*Lillian put a small fish tank in her office cubicle.
*There are five shower cubicles in the changing room. 五個淋浴間
mentor-良師益友,導師,
*Coach Johnson has been Eric's mentor since high school. He taught Eric everything he knows about football.
evaluate-衡量,評估
*The company evaluates their employees each quarter.
*We should evaluate the market before we start advertising the new product.
approachable-可接近的,容易親近的approach-靠近
*Wesley doesn't seem very approachable, but he's really a nice person once you get to know him.
hit it off-相處融洽合得來
*Janet didn't hit it off with Marlene at first, but soon they became good friends.
orientation-in and out the classes to learn more about the company and the job.新生訓練 職員新生訓練
steep learning curve- A difficult tast need patience and hard work to overcome it, it's a long process.

Chat Room
The mentor show me around the office.
show-展示
show someone around-帶某人去參觀一個地方.當他的導遊,或是盡地主之誼帶著參觀
show someone the ropes-教導某人工作上的竅門與作法.
learn the ropes-學會工作的竅門或作法
watch, the rope have to have "s", "ropes" when you use idiom of "show me the ropes, or learn the ropes".
show someone the door-wants people to go out. It is a nice way to ask people leave.指著門請人走路,委婉的請人離開
-----------------------------------
You can say that again-- I agreed what you just said or your opinion. 你說的一直點也不錯It means I agree that, but you don't need to repeat it again.
I'll say = I agree with you. I am agreed what you say. Do not say " I will say." You should say "I'll say"贊同

No comments: