Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Interview

我就是這樣通過面試How prepared can you really be? by Joan Yu

Working for a Fortune 500 company is a dream for a lot of Chinese people in the U.S., including me. The salary and overall benefits are so much better than what many companies in the U.S. offer. And this kind of work experience looks good on a resume for future career advancement.

A friend who knows me very well referred me to the hiring manager of a Fortune 500 company. There was an immediate opening for a permanent position, and my background seemed to be a good match.

The interview process started with a phone interview with the HR department. One invaluable lesson I earned from a career counselor is to be absolutely honest about your resume. You can exaggerate. But at the interview, good interviewers can easily tell if you know what you are talking about .I got myself ready a couple hours before the phone interview by reviewing my resume and preparing for questions regarding my background. I wanted to make a good first impression and move forward to the second round interview. And I did!

My second interview took place on the company's campus a couple of days later. On the day of the interview, I arrived early, found the right building, and cleared my thoughts before I went in. the interview was an hour long and was more of a behavior interview.

The hiring manager wanted to learn about my personality and working style. We clicked in the second-round interview, and I felt quite confident going into the last interview. My third-round interview lasted half a day and was conducted by five people from the hiring department. I had to answer all kinds of questions, even some that didn't pertain to the job! One person asked me a brainteaser question. Another asked me a math question, and luckily that's one of my strengths. I wasn't sure if I satisfied every interviewer. However, I tried to just be myself and prove that I was the right fit for the position.

I was thrilled to receive the offer letter a couple of weeks later- the job was mine!
and prove that I was the right fit for the position.

Grammar Tips:
I tried to just be myself
"the right fit"-
"fit"-having the right shape or size to cover something in an exact way.
The fit of this jacket isn't right, it's too small.
I think Brent is the right fit for Claire, they have many similar interests and really get along well.
Terrence has trouble working with others, so I don't think he is the right fit for the job as manager.
Greg is the right fit for the assignment because he has had many years of experience.

Vocabulary Tips:
overall-整體的,大體上的
*The department's overall evaluation will be posted next week.
*Overall, it has been a good year for our business.
referred/referring -介紹,后面接“to
*Molly referred her best friend Julie to her father's company.
*My family doctor referred me to a well-known surgeon.
impression-印象,
*She gave the impression that she didn't want to talk to others.
*David wanted to make a good impression on his future father-in-law so he got a hair cut.
*She gave the impression that she didn't want to talk to others.
click-一見如故,一拍即合.合得來.
*Josh an Samuel totally clicked the first time they met. They became best friends at once.
*Wilma and Tanya didn't click at first, but they slowly realized that they made a good team.
conduct-執行
*The project was conducted by one of the top construction companies in the country.
*The experiment was conducted in the Boston University's science lab.
pertain有關的,相關的-
*The writer's latest article pertains to racism has caused a lot of controversy.
* We'll only be discussing issues that pertain to our topic today.

Chat Room
One invaluable lesson I learned.-無價的
valuable-价值
invaluable-無價的無法用價值去估算的
priceless painting-物價的
invaluable help and support-
-----------------------------------
interviewer-主持面試的人
interviewee-被接受面試的人
"or" or "er"- 人
"ee"-接受..的人, 被...的人
interviewee, interview被面試的人
employee, employ-被雇用的人
examinee, examine-被檢查的人, 參加考試的人
trainee, train-被訓練的人
murder, murderer, but not murderee.謀殺,謀殺人的人,但不能說被人謀殺的人爲"murderee"

No comments: