Sunday, November 29, 2009

In Love With Coffee, Dating the Library

美國留學記:愛上咖啡,和圖書館約會 My friends, I still miss you Getting good grades is hard work 得到好成績非易事 by Luke Wang


With a cup of coffee and my laptop, I am sitting in the library – my new home. My friends believe I live in the library because I am here all the time. I am trying hard not to live up to the typical Asian stereotypenerdy. But I still need to put a lot of effort into my studies because English is not my first language.


Since my university has short semesters, my schedule is tight. Despite finishing midterms not too long ago – late October – my finals are quickly approaching – early December. I feel close to going over the edge because of my schedule and all of the homework. And the cultural differences are also dragging me toward frustration and fatigue. I am suffering from depression. However, I also know I am learning and growing.


Thanksgiving was last week. So most students went home to celebrate with their families and friends- we had a four-day vacation. Where did I go? Nowhere. All I have are memories of friends and family back home. I miss them so much. I still remember all the fun times with my friends. Do they still remember me? I cannot forget our friendships. I am obsessed with memories.


Grammar
I feel close to going over the edge because of my schedule and all of the homework.
to feel close to + verb-ing--mention about any action or situation almost happen.
He feels like he is almost going over the edge because of his schedule and all of the homework.
Fred is close to solving the riddle.
The research team is close to discovering a cure for the disease.
opposite of the meaning just add "not" in front of "close to +verb-ing"
Tina is not close to being done with her project.
The secretary is not close to finishing his morning assignments.


Vocabulary
stereotype (n)-刻板印象,nerdy.
The most common stereotype of men is that they don't show emotion.
*He doesn't fit the stereotype of an athlete. He's considerably studious and quiet.
*The film exposes the many ways that racial stereotypes can guide people.
despite (prep)-regardless, even though
Despite training hard for the race, Hilary came in 3rd place.
nerd (n)-a way of a type of people, always carry books, wear thick glasses, like study a lot, not have many friend.
over the edge (idiom) -go too far, almost going to crazy频临精神崩溃。
The last work assignment Shelley was given put her over the edge, so she quit her job immediately.
*He went over the edge after his girlfriend broke up with him.
*I'.m afraid he might be pushed over the edge when he finds out he's getting fired
fatigue (n)-tiredness, very tired
Paul's first four weeks in the army were filled with pain and fatigue, so all he thought about was sleep.
obsess-kept thinking about it all the time, can't forget about it. 使着迷或缠住. obsessed被着迷的
Horrible childhood memories obsessed Debra for years
Ellen is obsessed with money. She doesn't care about anything else.
taking by storm (idiom)- That designer's unique, environmentally friendly clothes are taking the fashion world by storm.

Chat Room
hit home- 1。擊中要害2。触及痛处。really hit home 引起共鸣
hit bottom-跌到谷底(国家经济或个人表现上)心情低落诸事不顺。
homesick-想家miss their home/family/country, homesick -重音在后面,是sick stay at home.
hit the nail on the head- 锒头打在钉子上。击中要害,一针见血很赞成对方的说法或看法。
对方认同并说对了自己的看法,你可以说“you hit the nail on the head.” 你说得对了

No comments: