Monday, November 18, 2013

Consumer Conflicts

Is shopping online better than buying things in a store?
該在店裡買,還是 上網買? 上網購物比在實體店 面購物更好?

Laura and Nellie are hanging out at Nellie's house. Nellie is browsing some online stores from her laptop.

Laura: What are you looking for, Nellie?
Nellie: I'm shopping for a new pair of jeans. Laura. And maybe I'll buy some shoes.
Laura:You buy your clothes online? Aren't you afraid they won't fit? it seems pretty risky to me.
Nellie: Not really. If they don't fit, I'll just send them back.
Laura:That sounds really troublesome. You have to pay the cost of shipping both ways. I would rather try on clothes in the store. Then I'll know right away if they fit or not.
Nellie: That's true. But the mall is pretty far from here. It takes gas to get there, and that's expensive. If buy something online, it comes right to my house.
Laura: Yes, but you have to wait for it. When I buy something, I want to have it right away! I'd rather drive to the mall and pay for the gas than to wait a week or longer!
Nellie: But I feel so excited when my things finally arrive! And a lot of sites offer free shipping. Not to mention, when I go to the the store, I end up to buying things on impulse. I just buy what I need online.
Laura: I also like to shop in stores to support local businesses and the people who work in them. However, I have purchased a couple things from online auction sites.
Nellie: Online auctions are so exciting! What did you buy?
Laura: One time I bought an old book of myths that's not sold in stores anymore. I couldn't find it anywhere! When it came, it was just what I was expecting. I was so pleased.
Nellie: That's the great thing about online shopping! You can find practically anything!
Laura: Yes. But not all my online shopping experiences have been good. Another time I bought a CD from an individual. On the website he said it was new, but it was all dirty and scratched when it arrived! I tried to return it, but the person never replied to any of my emails, so I never got my money back.
Nellie: What a scam artist! You do have to be careful when buying things online. I only buy from stores with good reputations. And when I buy from an auction, I only buy from sellers who have a lot of positive reviews.
Laura: Good advice! Now let me give you some advice -fashion advice! Let's go to the mall, and I'll drive!

Grammar Gym:
"Not to mention, when I go to the store, I end up buying things on impulse."
'end up' - in the end, resulting.
*Although Kim and her roommate had agreed to divide the house chores, Kim ended up doing all the house chores herself.
Ellie's original plan was to be in town for three days, but she ended up staying for a week.

Vocabulary Tips:
consumer - person who buy things at a store or online. 消费者,顾客。
*The new refund policy has attracted criticism from many consumers.
*To stay competitive, companies need to be responsive to consumer demand.
consume - use it. 消耗,使用。
*This hybrid car consumes less gas than traditional ones.
troublesome (adj) - bother you, something is not pleasant to you.  trouble you, troublesome to you to do something for me. Don't worry, It's my pleasure, it's not troublesome. Don't be a troublesome to others. 令人苦恼的或觉得困难的。 'trouble' (n) -麻烦
*I find balancing my checkbook to be very troublesome.
not to mention - 更不用说,更不消说。(用来连接二个句子)mention -提及。
*Cathy is one of the kindest, not to mention one of the most beautiful girls I know.
impulse - not think about it, make quick decision or buy things at sudden. 冲动,一时兴起的念头。
*I had a sudden impulse to walk out of the meeting.
on impulse / on an impulse : 一时的冲动。
*I bought this expensive handbag on an impulse.
auction -拍卖。
*I bought this painting at an auction. 在一个拍卖会上。
put something up for auction - 把东西拿去拍卖。
*The couple put all their furniture up for auction because they are moving.
practically - almost, close to. 几乎,实际上,实事上。
*Practically everyone in the company was at the boss's wedding.
practical - useful. 实用的,可行的。
*Unfortunately, this invention has no practical use.
scam artist -骗子,诈骗高手。
scam-(设)骗局,诡计,诈欺的行为。
*This insurance scam involves many people.
*Alex's pathetic scam was soon discovered by his parents.
scam artist - people who try to get your money or get something from you by cheat or lying you.
*The scam artist always targeted elderly people.
reputation - something people think or know about someone or something. 名声,名誉。
*As a teacher, Tanya has a reputation for being strict. 以严厉,严格著称。
*That law firm has a very good reputation.
*The charity campaign successfully promoted the company's reputation.
local store- the store in your neighborhood. 本地的商业
local - only in that place.
a couple - some, not mean two here.
myth - s kind of story people talk it about through generations but that story is not true.
mythology (n) - idea of this myth.
just what I was something ( expected, thinking, wanted, want to say....) - exactly what I was .....
make some money out of it = make some money from it.


Language Tips:
toponym - 以地名来命名其他的。把地名的第一个字母大写变成小写字母。
topo - 场所,地方。
China / china : 中国/陶瓷,瓷器。(十八世纪,西方白瓷尚未开发,而中国的瓷器又格外的精致,细匀而闻名)
Bikini / bikini : 太平洋群岛/ 一种性感的女泳装。
a new pair of jeans -
jeans - from word ‘Jannes’.
Jannes - French calls " Genoa", ' Jannes' , Genoa is a city where in Italy,  which place is heavy manufacturing jeans material.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
support local businesses -支持本地的商业。
go local - a thought or an act that purchase things at local store to support the local store and communities. Let the money stay in the local communities, not going out to help the local stores, communities, also help increase the job opportunities. Shopping outside let the money go out to other place. One of five purchase you made in local store can help and balance the local store and communities need.
go local : 一种想法,或举动以在本地购买的东西来支持本地的商业。让钱留在本地,来帮助本地企业,造福社区,并可增加就业机会。



Notes taking of studioclassroom

No comments: