Saturday, April 13, 2013

How Do You Choose a Career?

There are many considerations when deciding on a career
選擇職業的訣竅 - 決定自己職涯的諸多考量.

Robert sees Helen sat in the library and strikes up a conversation.

Robert: Hi, Helen, What are you working on?
Helen: I'm taking a quiz to help me decide the kind of career I should have. I need to take a test to choose your career.
Robert: A career quiz? You need to take a test to choose your career?
Helen: Well, you don't have to take a test.
Robert: Whew! I got a little anxious there thinking that I needed to study for another test.
Helen: No. The issue is that I have no idea what career I should pursue. I can see myself doing so many things. I need help figuring out what is best for me based on my interests and personality.
Robert: Good luck. But I don't I need to worry since I already know what I'm going to do.
Helen: Really? But we're only juniors in high school! How can you be so sure about your future career?
Robert: Simple - my parents want me to be a doctor, so I'm going to go to medical school.
Helen: That's a lot of time and money. You might want to talk to a career counselor before you make such a big decision.
Robert: No, I trust my parents judgment - especially when it's something as important as deciding my future.
Helen: You should think about this more seriously. What if you go to medical school and discover that you don't like studying medicine?
Robert: I'll just deal with it and be a doctor anyway. My parents have really high expectations for me, so I don't want to let them down.
Helen: Would you really want to work at a job you don't enjoy? A career test can help you determine what you like and good at.
Robert: Hmm....Well maybe that is a good idea. Then maybe I could make a list of potential career options and talk to my parents about them.
Helen: You should also consider what kind of work environment you like and how much money you want to make, how easy to take time off,  and how much education you need.
Robert: That's a lot to think about. Well, I am pretty good at math, and I really love to sketch pictures of buildings. That sounds more interesting to me than fixing human bodies. I just can't want to upset my parents.
Helen: I know, but it sound like you're interested in architecture.  My dad knows some architects. He could introduce you to some so you could find out more about that field. Then you could make an informed decision.
Robert: I guess it wouldn't hurt to talk to them.
Helen: Well, think about it, and let me know.


Grammar Gym:
"I'll just deal with it and be a doctor anyway."
"to deal with it" - handling a situation (which usually is not very present.)
People have to deal with morning traffic.
Passengers have to deal with long lines.

Vocabulary Tips:
strike up - struck up开始交往,开始交谈,开始演奏。。strike - 撞击,攻击
*The backpackers struck up a conversation on the train. 背包族。。开始闲聊起来。。。
*These boys struck up a friendship after joining the same team. 。。开始了友谊。。
issue -problem, struggle, something need to deal with or work through.问题。
*There are issues about our marketing strategies.
*The accuracy of the data is not an issue.
issue -topic.议题
*Tax reduction is one of the major issues of this election campaign.。。。市竞选的主要议题之一。。
counselor -辅导,顾问。someone who give a good advise.
career counselor -帮助在职业上所选择的辅导。
guidance counselor -(高中学校里,帮助在职业上所选择的辅导)
counselor -律师
*This talented young counselor has never lost a case. 从未败诉过的有才华的青年律师。
judgment (n) -判断力,判决。评判。
judge (v) -评判。评断。
*I trust my parents judgment. 
*The mistake in the news report was caused by the author's poor judgment.。。错误的判断力。
let someone down : someone has high expectation on you, and you are disappointed them. 令人失望。让某人失望。
*Sorry, I have let you down, I did the best but I can't help. let-down (n)-令人失望
down -失望。
*Annie fell that she had let everyone down because she got divorced.
*David worked hard to make sure that he wouldn't let his boss down.
potential -possible in the future. 潜能的,潜在的,可能的。
*Rita sees everyone around her as a potential client.
potential (n) -潜力.
*Ricky has the potential to become a great actor.
sketch (v) -素描,速写。quick drawing, not having too much detail.
*The painter is sketching a beautiful cathedral.
sketch (n) -素描
*A sketch of a ballenna by this artist is now on display.
inform -通知。
inform (adj) -something you do a lot of research and gain a lot of knowledge of something.明智的,有见识的。
*This lecture will help you make an informed choice about investments.明智的选择。
inform -well known the situation. 了解情况,或是消息灵通的。
*Only a few informed people know the company's financial situation.
discover - find out.
determine - here means " find out, decide."
determination - have a goal, and work hard toward the goal.
fix, fixing - repair, make it to work or make it right.
architecture - is a field of building.
architects - is people who are in the architecture field.

Useful phrase:
"You might want to do something" - good suggestion phrase when you suggest or encourage someone to try or do something.
"How can you be so sure?"

Language Tips:
grade -年级。
what grade are you in? 你是几年级学生?
grade school -elementary school grade.通常都用在小学年级的学生。
year -年,年级。
What year are you in?你是几年级学生?通常用在高中以上的学生。
freshman year  /sophomore year /junior year /senior year 高中,大学的第一年/第二/第三。第四年级学生。通常美国的高中是四年。
But we're only junior in high school
junior - the 11th grader. the 3rd year in high school, if the high school has 4 years.
10th, 11th, 12th year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
high expectation - 期许很高的。
helicopter parents -直升飞机的父母。指那些,太过于保护孩子,像直升飞机,终日盘旋于孩子们的上空,什么事都介入,都要管的父母。
hover (over )- hover over their kids. -盘旋于上空的。

*** Parents can have high expectation with their children, but not involved too much, avoid over protect them. Let them to face the problem and deal with them by their own. Only let them to contact the life problem can make them to be stronger and more capable.

*** Parents are to support them but not to over protect them. Encourage them to face their daily challenge. Give some room for their children



Taking notes of study "Studio Classroom"


No comments: