Thursday, March 3, 2011

Business Lunches

商業午餐People don’t just work in the office by Joan Yu

I like to lunch with co-workers I am close to on a weekly basis, usually on Fridays when we have fewer meetings. We like to try different kinds of food, enjoy each other's company, and have a short getaway from the stressful workplace for an hour. We talk about everything from work to family and weekend plans.

Our team lunch is often held monthly or quarterly at a nice restaurant. The topics range from work issues to what's happened in the company recently as well as personal topics. One of the purposes of a team lunch is to bond and get to know each other better. People share about their life events such as family, kids, sports, buying a house, etc. Our discussions are definitely more formal and serious, however, when the boss is present. A business lunch with a supplier is always about business, with the purpose of developing a better relationship with him or her. We discuss current working issues, relationships and possible future opportunities.

Joan talks with her co-worker Jeff.
Jeff: Hey, Joan, I need your advice.
Joan: Of course. How can I help?
Jeff: I'm hosting my first business lunch next week. Usually I take a co-worker with me, but this time I'm on my own. I want to do everything right.
Joan: I'm happy to give you some pointers.
Jeff: Good. Is there anything in particular I should do - or not do?
Joan: Use good table manners, and don't be late! Where are you having lunch?
Jeff: At Oscar's Seafood.
Joan: That's a good place. The service is excellent, the atmosphere is nice, and it's not too noisy. None of your guests are allergic to seafood are they?
Jeff: I don't know.
Joan: Send them an e-mail to confirm lunch and mention the place and ask if that is all right.
Jeff: OK. And how soon should I get down to business?
Joan: Wait until everyone has looked at the menu and ordered. Spend some time in small talk first. You want to get to know them -and let them get to know you.
Joan: After that, you can bring up what you really want to discuss.

Grammar Tips:
I like to lunch with co-workers I am close to on a weekly basis....
on a weekly basis =a pattern in a schedule. = a schedule pattern that happens weekly.
The company supervisors meet on a monthly basis to talk about sales.
She is working out on a daily basis before her concert tour begins.
My doctor wants me to see him on a regular basis.

Vocabulary Tips:
quarterly -以"季"為單位.每季的 quarter-季,四分之一.
*The board members would meet quarterly to review their budget.
*This fashion magazine is published quarterly.
quarterly safety check-up.每季一次的安全檢查.
bond-連結,,關係上的連繫.
*The students formed a strong bond with their teacher within just a weeks.
*The bond between the baby and her nanny is very close.
definitely (adv) 肯定地,明確地,清楚地- definite-絕對的,囘答問題"表示肯定,絕對的”
*This restaurant is definitely the best in town.
*Dad would definitely get angry if he knew what you did.
pointer-儀器上的指針,此指“忠告”“點子”,“綫索”。用“on ”在什麽事上,用"for"在什麽人上面。
*The booklet provides many useful pointers for expecting moms.
*Will you give me some pointers on my resume?
allergic-敏感的,過敏的 對什麽過敏,用“to” allergy (n).過敏
*Ted is allergic to dust. He gets rashes when it is too dusty.
*Cindy is allergic to all kinds of nuts.
get down to business-切入正題,言歸正傳。
business-正題,真正要談的内容或重點。
*Let's stop chatting and get down to business.
*We don't have the whole night. Let's get down to business!

Chat Room:
I like to lunch with co-workers I am close to.
to lunch (v)-吃午餐

to eat lunch (n)-吃午餐。
I'll be lunching at home-我會在家吃午餐。
dinner-晚餐。dinner only can be "noun", never be a "verb"
dine -吃。
out to lunch ( idiom, it has negative meaning) - from the word is "go out to lunch" but the idiom means, someone is out of mind, not in the real world. -心不在焉,沒頭沒腦,脫綫,晃神。
--------------------------------
I'm hosting my first business lunch next week.
host (n), 主人,主持人(v)-招待。款待。
host/hostess=主人,主持人,host 可男可女/hostess 必需是女性。
hostess with the mostest -超級能幹得過女主人。
host (adj)-數量大量的,很多, big amount in numbers
a host of problems-很多的問題。
a host of friends-眾多的朋友。

No comments: