Thursday, September 30, 2010

A New Year

新年新氣象It’s back to school for Luke 路克返校讀書了 by Luke Wang

Here I am back in Southern California

With new-found courage and faith, I am here again in Southern California. It's my sophomore year. As students enter into their second year, many of them will begin taking classes for their majors, and I am no exception. I feel more comfortable. Nevertheless, there are still many new things: new classes, new roommates and new friends. One of the most exciting things for me is my new baby, an '07 Toyota Corolla-trust me, every boy wants a car. I am also working at the front desk in the library.I hope I can be more social through the interactions this job provides. On top of that, I am cooking three meals a day for myself. In America, cooking is a lot cheaper than eating out.

There are many things I want to share with you, but I need to stop now. Studying abroad is life changing, and I am really benefiting from this experience. If you ever have the opportunity to study abroad-go.

Grammar Tips:
....many of them will begin taking classes for their majors, and I am no exception.
Pattern: " Situation , and someone is no exception."
no exception-when talk about a rule or situation that has a certain way that everyone should follow it.
Anyone entering the laboratory must wear an apron and safety glasses, and a visitor is no exception.
All students must wear their school uniforms, and the exchange student is no exception.

Vocabulary Tips:
sophomore-高中或大學二年級學生
*Joy made the honor role during her sophomore year at Yale. 榮譽生
*Irene is a sophomore at Boston University.
exception-例外,例外的人,事,物 except-除。。。之外,
*The director's films are always heavy and serious, but this one is an exception. 沉重又嚴肅
*Without exception, everyone needs to turn in his or her paper by Friday.
on top of that-除此之外 using "on top of that" on " when adding similar things"
*Jenny works two jobs, and on top of that, she also has to take care of her sick mother.
*On top of his financial problems, Josh has a heart condition to add to the stress.

Chat Room:
new things:
new friend, new classes, new roommates....
spanking new/brand new- 嶄新的,全新的
as good as new-使用過但是還是完好如新的
There's nothing new under the sun.-日光之下沒新事,即指“什麽事都曾經發生過。

No comments: