Friday, February 26, 2010

Enjoying Being 18

我十八歲The most blissful thing for me is my friendships 試著調適自己,才能適應住在美國宿舍的生活Adjusting to life in an American dorm by Luke Wang

Adjusting to life in America is a hard process. Two difficulties international students face are the language barrier and emotional frustration. Always having to face language barriers, cultural differences and social isolation, many students might crash emotionally. For me, I look at it as a chance to learn and grow.

As I am living with a bunch of Americans, I need to adjust to some things. Living in the dormitory is an interesting experience that most freshmen go through, and things can get pretty crazy. Americans love playing loud music in their rooms, sometimes blasting it ‘til midnight. They also aren't aware of using others' beginning, I was surprised to find my roommate's friends sitting on my bed and suing my desk. Sometimes they even used my things without giving me a heads-up. Many small things in daily life, which in Chinese culture are considered impolite, do not matter to them. It has been a big adjustment, but I have learned how to communicate with them about my feelings. Surprisingly, they respect me I think living in the dorm is a great way to learn more about American freshman life and make new friends as well.


Grammar
Americans love playing loud music in their rooms, sometimes blasting it 'til midnight.
'til (informal way to say till, until )=until
...blasting it until midnight.
until or till =up to the time of
*Until the policemen have questioned everyone in the room, no one is allowed to leave.


Vocabulary
barrier-障碍,阻碍
*Despite the language barrier, the two foreign students became close friends.
*His poor health condition is a great barrier for him to finish school.
blast-轰然作响 或发出刺耳的声音。
*The driver blasted the horn trying to warn the car in front of him.大鸣喇叭
*The neighbor is always blasting music from his apartment late at night.
heads-up-事先示意或知会。知会哪方面用“about“
*The secretary gave my department a head-up about tomorrow's inspection.
*Someone should have given us a heads-up about the change in schedule.

Chat Room
crash-碰撞,撞上什么东西。
crash emotionally-情绪崩溃
stock market crash-股市崩盘
Can I crash at your place? 我能在你家打地铺
crush-单恋,被电到了
Have a crush on someone.一方单恋另一方,被某人电到了。




No comments: