Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Car or Scooter?

Is owning a car worth the price?
当开车族还是机车族好?拥有一部自己的车真的值得吗?

Hay, Tim, I'm thinking about buying a car, I know you have one, so what do you think?
Wait; you already own a scooter. Why do you want a car?
I'd like to go on some trips with my friends. More people can fit in a car, and it's more comfortable.
True, but cars are also expensive. You have to buy the car, and then pay for insurance, gas maintenance and other expenses. I wish I still had my scooter. It was so much cheaper!
But I have money. I've been saving for a long time. And besides don't you think a car is worth the expense?
It's depends. Will you really travel enough to justify the expense? You can always rent a car.
Renting a car is expensive, too. Besides, I think the storage space would be useful for both traveling and everyday life.
I got a car because I have a wife and kids now. But you'll be the only person suing the car most of the time. How much stuff will you really need to carry?
I guess I don't need a lot of storage space most of the time. But cars also offer more shelter from the rain and other bad weather than scooters do.
Yeah, it's nice to not have to worry about rain, and air conditioning is a real advantage in the summer. But cars also have some notable disadvantages.
Really? Like what?
Finding a parking space can be difficult, especially in big cities. Scooter are much easier to park.
I guess you're right.
Also, I haven't used my car much lately because the price of gas has gone up a lot. Driving a scooter is much less expensive, and it creates less pollution.
True, but riding in a car is so much safer. Cars provide much more protection. Several of my friends have been hurt in scooter accidents.
That's a good point. Even if you're not a reckless driver, you can still have an accident. If you have the money and it makes you feel safer, maybe buying a car would be worthwhile.
You have made some good points, I guess I'll think about it some more.

Grammar Tips:
I guess I don't need a lot of storage space most of the time.
"I guess.... " - I suppose (something is not complete sure but believe or  think what should be.)
I guess my friend is at home.
I guess having dinner and watching a movie is always a possibility if we can't think of anything else.

Vocabulary Tips:
maintenance - need a work than can keep the thing in a good condition, take care of. (不可数n)维修,保养
* The manager is responsible for the building maintenance.
* Your car needs regular maintenance.
maintain (v)- 维修,保养
* The airline is known for maintaining a high safety standard.
justify - 证明是正当的,合理的。 have a good reason for it. "just" -合理的。
*He needs a very good reason to justify his repetitive tardiness.
*There's no way that Wesley can justify his violent behavior.
storage -储藏,保管  store -储藏
*The chair can be folded for easy storage.
storage-储藏室,储藏空间。
*Our attic is mostly used for storage. 阁楼。
scooter - smaller than motorcycle, the front part of scooter has a place for your legs but motorcycle don't.
shelter - cover from sun or rain. a place can be rest.(不可数n).,遮蔽,掩护。(可数n.) :收容所,庇护所。
*The victims of the earthquake desperately need food, drinking water and shelter right now.
*Nick volunteers in a shelter for homeless people.
notable -值得注意的,显著的。"note "-   注意,指明。
*There are notable differences between the twin sisters.
*This female writer is one of the most notable novelists of her time. 当时最著名的。。。
pollution -污染。damage the nature, dirty stuff (water, air ) effect to the nature.
*The pollution of the local rivers is so severe that people can only drink bottled water.当地河川。。瓶装水。
*The agency is authorized to monitor the air pollution of major cities.机构被受权监控各城市的污染。
reception - 招待,接见,收受,接受,欢迎会,容纳,领悟,感受,茶会。
point - an idea, topic.
reckless - not careful.
malicious (adj) - 有恶意的,很毒的。
tactic (n)- 战术,作战行动,策略,方略。

Chat Room:
You can always rent a car.
rent -paying for certain time use.租
borrow- (in 借入) - I borrow some money from the bank.
lend - (out 借出) - The bank lend me some money.
borrow a book -
lend you a book.
May I use your bathroom? 借用一下,用“ use”. not borrow, unless you borrow a portable one. you won't able to borrow someone's whole bathroom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding a parking space can be difficult, especially in big cities.
parking lot - 停车场,可以是露天,或是有篷子的。
parking garage -供停车的建筑物。
car park (英国人 ) = parking place.
parking space -路旁地上有画好线或格子的停车位。如果路边没有画线或画格子的,不能说是“     parking space ”。




No comments: