Saturday, June 9, 2012

Energy Drinks – Good or Bad?


Can you get lasting energy from a drink?
能量飲料究竟是好是壞? 可以從飲料中獲得持續的能量嗎?


Hi, Amy, How are you doing? You look really tired.
I am so exhausted, I didn't sleep at all last night.
Why? What were you doing?
I was studying for my world history test. I started studying at 11.00, and I didn't stop until 8.00 this morning. I don't want to flunk.
Wow! How did you manage to concentrate for that many hours? I would have pass out on my books long before 8.00 this morning.
Simple, I had an energy drink.
Really? Do those drinks really help you study? I knows they're loaded with sugar and caffeine.
In my opinion they are very effective, the caffeine in the drink give me a little energy boost. When I drink one. I don't feel tired or sleepy when I forced to study for hours on end.
So you think they are pretty useful when you need to stay awake.
Definitely. A lot of people in our class have been drink recently. Energy drinks are so in style right now. You should try one sometime.
Yeah, I've seem a lot of commercial for energy drinks on TV and in magazine. They are popular.
The vibes (of the energy drinks ) are really cool. But I've also read that they are extremely unhealthy.
Oh, really? in what ways?
Have you read the list of Ingredients in energy drank? I've already said they are full of sugar and caffeine.
I know. Bud so are many kinds of soda, and energy drank have vitamin and exotic natural ingredients. Those are good for my health.
That's what this ads want you to believe. but don't be fooled. the actual amount of beneficial in ingredient is very low. It's the sugar and caffeine that give you energy.
What's wrong with that? We eat sugar in our everyday foods, don't we? And coffee has caffeine.
True, but it's the huge concentrated amount of sugar that give you the sugar rush. And than when the Energy drink loses power you feel even more tired than before. ( you are getting a crash feeling.)
I guess that makes sense.No wonder I feel so exhausted right now!
And that caffeine can help you stay awake, but if you keep depriving yourself of sleep, you're asking for trouble.
Maybe energy drinks aren't so great after all. I think I'll start studying earlier next time. That way, I won't need to resort to energy in a can (or a bottle).

Vocabulary:
flunk - fail the course of study, class or exam.不及格。
pass out - not awake, lost conscious. 昏倒,昏睡。
load - to have (get, obtain, fill up) a lot of something. 装载,充满。, 载满了,充满的。
*a loaded gun.
caffeine -elements can find in coffee, keep awake.
"in my opinion" - very useful phrase, that you don't know it for sure or true, but you think or believe by your own experience.
boost - to improve, increase or raise up something. boost confidence, energy or joy.
definitely - certain, without any doubt.
vibe- - 气氛,感觉。常用复数。the atmosphere that make you feel good in mood or character. 发(vaib)
exotic - not common, come from far away place or other countries.
fool - to trapped.  "to be fool "- 被愚弄 "don't be fool " -别伤当,别被愚弄了。
beneficial - food for you. 有益的,有利的,由帮助的。对某个对象有益有帮助, 用 "to"
benefit (n)-益处,好处。
concentrate - take away water or other stuff, more it's element in it. 集中,浓缩。
concentrated (adj) -浓缩的,精炼的。
sugar rush - (boost energy ) give a lot of energy by sugar.
exhausted - crash, after energy is gone from sugar,
deprive - take something away or to not allow to happen. sometime people use it as punishment when someone did something wrong, take what that person's enjoyment away for a while as a punishment.
resort (n) - vacation place or hotel.度假中心。度假村。
resort (v) - have to do or have. can not be without it. If handle things right at the beginning it might not need at the first place.  诉诸于。。, 依靠。。, 求助。。
resort to -seeking help or asking help, depend on something. 求助于。。

Chat Room:
recently /lately -最近。
recently - thing have one time only in the recent past. 单一的一个事件。只发生过一次,一定要用“ recently ”。不能用“lately.” but "recently" can be use for both, just happen once or many times.
I saw her in the library recently ( only happen one time.)
Lately -happen a lot, not just once. 重复发生,不只发生一次,用“lately”(最近), 且是用现在完成式。
I saw her coming in the library (a lot ) lately. (she came often, happen many times)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
caffeine -咖啡因,重音在后面“ ine ”。
decaffeinated coffee 低咖啡因的
de-to remove, to take away, to reduce.
caffeinated -有咖啡因的
coffee or caffeinated coffee -Coffee has caffeine.
decaffeinated coffee -  咖啡因成分低的,低咖啡因的咖啡。简称short for "decaf "
decaf - decaffeinated coffee/

.


No comments: