Friday, January 29, 2010

A New Semester

迎接新學期 I’m ready to catch the ball 新學期的開始,也帶來了全新的挑戰New challenges come with the start of a new semester by Luke Wang

Watching the crystal ball drop and the people count down on New Year’s Eve, I realized my Christmas break was ending. A couple of days later, I flew back to Los Angeles. Although I was more familiar with the school’s environment, the tensions of starting a new semester still held me in a death grip. Like last semester, I chose all my classes but soon realized that some weren’t suitable. Fortunately, in American universities, students can change all their classes within the first few weeks. So I dropped and then added some classes.

I am determined that difficulties won’t stop me. I will be stronger and sturdier as I go through challenging times – this is the belief that holds me. I take these challenges as a way to improve myself. I have evaluated myself over and over to see whether I have improved. I want to show my friends and family back home that I have grown, so I need to push myself harder. I want to test my limits. I am ready. Even though this semester is going to be hard, my every step is stronger and sturdier.

Grammar
I am ready to catch the ball--.it's not talking about real ball, ball game or P.E . He is borrow a lot of phrases of the ball game to describe situation in every day's life. .-here means "I am ready to facing new challenge"
The ball is in your court (from tennis)-it's your responsibility now to make a decision.
not up to par (golf)-not acceptable for a position.
to call the shots-to be in charge and make decisions.
to get the ball rolling-let's to get the thing start it.

Vocabulary
count down-倒数。预期某事发生(倒数计时)counting numbers from small to large, we say counting up such as 1,2,3...up, counting down, counting numbers from large to small.
*All the spectators counted down together before the spacecraft launched.
we were counting down the days until the prom. 毕业舞会
drop-掉落,此指“退选” take the name off something.
*I found that French 201 is way too difficult for me, so I dropped it.
*Sherry decided to add Economy 101 to her class schedule. 加选
sturdy-坚强的,坚固的或是坚固耐用的。。
He's a sturdy fighter who can beat the disease.坚强的斗士。
*She had no problem climbing the mountain thanks to her sturdy boots坚固的靴子.
*a sturdy chair ideal for kids.坚固耐用得着椅子是专为小孩设计的。
death grip-holding you so tied that almost can kill you.

Chat Room
step-脚步
one step at a time-一次一小步,一步一步来,不要急,慢慢来,
step by step- 一步一个脚印,一步一步的
one step forward, two steps back-向前前进一步,却倒退两步。想要努力,却毫无进展。
out of step-打乱了脚步,弄乱了章程,是说不协调。
step on it-driving too slow, we will say" step on it" 踩油门,“加快车属速”
the first step is the hardest-迈出第一步总是最困难的。万事起头难。
step it up-faster, hurry up 加快脚步,赶快。
take one step, take the first step.

No comments: